Monday, August 5, 2013

The Mask and the Mirror II

If the first part of The Mask and the Mirror the voice was given to the Mirror, that tried to encourage the main character to face his/her fears and to let go of the Mask, this time it is the Mask's turn to pledge its beliefs. To whom will you listen?


Do you really believe in success without me by your side?
Do you really think you can manage to face another day without me protecting you?
Do you truly believe that people will like you if you give me up?

My child, you are such a fool if you only dare to dream that you could possibly manage without me...

I am the one that grants you strength and courage to face every little obstacle that you encounter.
I am the one that keeps your so-called friends close. Let's be honest... It is already hard enough for me to make you seem a pleasant person, so try, just try, to imagine how would this become if it wasn't for me. You are lonely even with them at your side, or what is left of them... because you dared listen just for a little while to that good for nothing Mirror and you instantly committed grave mistakes. When will you learn that honesty and kindness are NEVER answered with sincere goodness? People always forget those who help them, those who listen to their pathetic constant whining and feeling sorry for themselves, ah, even I sometimes feel like cracking from hearing all those complaints and stupid problems! You sank in this complicated devotion of trying to help them fix most of their troubles, forgetting that nobody will stand with you when hard times will follow your steps. Only after feeling the terrible sting of disappointment, you dare turn to me. 

Yes... Disappointment... It consumes you. And I can only enjoy this torment of yours, because it always leads you back, right in my caressing, patient arms.

I find some things very amusing. No matter how hard I try to convince you with pertinent examples that there are no such things as trust, love or loyalty, you just seem to enjoy feeling hurt and you end up disappointed every time you plunge into an adventure of putting your trust in someone. Such a horrible adventure, if you might ask me. People are not to be trusted. They only give you the impression that they are there for you, just long enough for you to help them achieve their goals or just listen to their oh-so-sad life stories. People need to use others. It's a very treacherous circle, if I think about it. Oh, and this trust goes hand in hand with selfishness. How come? Well, when the one you trusted will find himself in a situation where he can win something on behalf of your so precious secrets, no doubt he will make use of your confessions. Yes, you know it: people are selfish. It's a jungle we live in, ladies and gentlemen! So go ahead and kick some dirt on the other, bury him fast and climb on his grave... Success awaits you at the top! Easy as that. No, do not give me that look, child! I am always right!

Dare I speak about love? Only the faint idea of it makes me sick. Let's get this straight once and for all! There is no such thing as love. It's a simple word, that traveled throughout the centuries and lost its real meaning (if it ever had such a thing). People do not love. People NEED. They need to feel like they belong to someone or some place, because loneliness in its pure form can be quite frightening, so they begin a quest of searching for another human being that also feels that way. And guess what? Everyone feels that way! But they are never satisfied with what they get... No, no... They always want more, they always feel a hunger to explore more and again, we reach the same conclusion. They hurt those who they believed they "loved" and they start "loving" another lonely person. Hmm hmm. Pleasure is such a cruel mistress for some. And I agree with it! Find pleasure, enjoy it, cherish it and move on. Love destroys and kills. Yes, in the end it can kill. First of all, it can kill your spirit. Lovely things families, don't you agree? Such a sad way of living. Getting bored with someone, procreating some child, who will be forced to fulfill the dreams and goals that his parents could not achieve. A child who will constantly disappoint. A broken child from the beginning of his life. Nevertheless, a very tempting scenario for me! Such infants embrace me completely and very fast, thus, together, we start growing and we bloom into such a strong person, capable of great and merciless things!

I can sense the anger building up inside of you and I can feel how it empowers me. But do not try to blame me for what you are feeling! You are the one who tries to confront me; in vain, of course. My lovely poor child, in your heart, you know I speak nothing but the truth. You know I can help you. There is no need to face your demons when we can feed them and join with them. Glory awaits you if you only give yourself completely to me... Follow my voice and the pain will end, this I can promise... Don't listen to the Mirror, don't fall for its tricks! Humanity does not exist anymore and you alone cannot restore it, it is impossible! It is a waste of time! It is not what I want.

Reach for me, I can sense that you want to...
Take me, feel me, breathe me... You cannot resist...
I am the only one that can protect you... 

Gently touches the Mask. Stares at it.

Yes, just like that... Closer, closer... The pain will end... It will all end...

Grabs the Mask and holds it just in front of his face. Remains like that, pondering, while tears begin to flow.

You know you want to, child.
I am already You.





Cris

No comments:

Post a Comment