Sunday, May 12, 2013

Beauty and the Beat

I gotta say, it took me 5 days to get used to the fact that I had the opportunity to watch such an amazing performance. Everyone asked me right after the show about how it was and so on, but I simply couldn't talk about it; I was still in that breathtaking atmosphere (for quite a while). Really, it was unbelievable. If you were there, you know what I'm talking about; if you missed the show, well... I hope you'll get the chance to see it, at least once. It's not about being a Nightwish fan or a Tarja fan; it's about a great show with such passionate musicians that will make you just float around for 2 hours and forget about everything else.


I really need to say this: Mike is one hell of a showman! That guy made the people from the orchestra turn  towards him and watch him have fun on stage, instead of paying attention to their conductor (no, don't worry, they did great too)! He was like a fish in the sea, the stage was his home. And if we already knew that he's an amazing drummer, this time he also proved that he can sing. This was quite a lovely surprise. And of course, Tarja had to show us something cool too, so she took Mike's place at the drums set and made it clear once again that she's not only talented, but also very ambitious. She made a little joke about the fact that high-heels are not really recommended for drumming and the minutes that followed were simply magic. Frank Sinatra's Fly Me To The Moon began, taking us back to the '60s.


I was thrilled about the whole show, but what I loved the most was being able to hear my favorite Tarja song, live, The Reign. If I had goosebumps during the entire thing, this song brought me such emotion that I could hardly breathe. I don't have words to describe it, but I bet Tarja placed more than a bit of her soul in that song when she wrote it. And the performance... Oh boy... This woman truly FEELS while singing. I was also pleased to listen to Witch Hunt, loved this song from the first time I discovered a decent version of it on YouTube, but I never dreamed of hearing it live. So dark, so balanced, I can tell you that it has a special touch. And if this was not enough, what followed blew us away completely: a Led Zeppelin medley (Kashmir - Immigrant Song - Stairway to Heaven - Kashmir). Awesomeneeeeeess! This sounded divine, the orchestra did an amazing job and the choir also. The next moment stirred the nostalgia within us. I admit, even I was moved by this: Swanheart. And words fail here so I've got nothing to add.

I know the photos are crappy, but I made some for my personal collection. Memories and stuff :)
All in all, it was beyond everything I imagined. A dream came true (also best birthday present ever!). Beautiful and delicate classical songs, spiced with Tarja's own rocking compositions and some well chosen cover songs: an event that we will never forget. Big thanks to Phoenix Entertainment for making this possible! Don't forget you have another chance to see Tarja perform with her rock band in October 2014, at the Palace Hall in Bucharest. New album, new awesome show!



Setlist Beauty and the Beat:
  1. Carmen Overture Bizet - Orchestra
  2. Concert for Violin and Oboe (J.S.Bach cover) - Orchestra + Mike Terrana
  3. Blute Nur (J.S.Bach cover) - Orchestra + Tarja
  4. Zueignung - Orchestra + Tarja
  5. Barber of Seville - Orchestra + Mike Terrana
  6. New World Symphony - Orchestra + Mike Terrana
  7. Song to the Moon - Orchestra + Tarja
  8. Vilja Song - Orchestra + Tarja + Choir
  9. The Reign - Orchestra + Tarja + Mike Terrana
  10. You Take My Breathe Away (Queen cover) - Orchestra + Tarja + Choir
  11. Witch Hunt - Orchestra + Tarja + Mike Terrana
  12. Led Zeppelin medley - Orchestra + Tarja + Mike Terrana + Choir
  13. Swanheart - Orchestra + Tarja + Mike Terrana + Choir
  14. Galop Infernal (Offenbach cover) - Orchestra + Mike Terrana
  15. Fly Me to the Moon - Orchestra + Mike Terrana + Tarja
  16. Into the Sun - Orchestra + Tarja + Mike Terrana + Choir 
Encore:

   17.  William Tell Overture - Orchestra + Tarja + Mike Terrana
   18.  O mio babbino caro - Orchestra + Tarja
   19.  I Feel Pretty (Bernstein cover) - Orchestra + Tarja
   20.  Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Orchestra + Mike Terrana
   21.  I Walk Alone - Orchestra + Tarja + Mike Terrana




Until next time,
Cris

2 comments: